Every homeowner eventually comes to a crossroads when their older air conditioner breaks down: does it make more sense to have it repaired, or is it time to replace it? While AC repair is generally less expensive than a new system, investing more money into a failing AC unit may not be the right call. In this article and infographic, we’ll review the pros-and-cons of both approaches and what you should consider—and who you should talk to—before making a decision.
To have an experienced HVAC technician inspect your system and provide a personalized recommendation for you and your home, contact our team online here at Heblon Heating & Air Conditioning, or call us at 601-281-0293. Since 1966, our team has provided outstanding repair, maintenance, and installation services in Meridian, Chunky, Wolf Springs, Toomsuba, and beyond.
Is it time to upgrade to a new air conditioner?
Deciding whether to repair or replace that older air conditioner? Be sure to check out our latest infographic to see everything you should consider when making your decision.
The case for repairing your older air conditioner
When your air conditioner stops working, start by giving us a call at 601-281-0293 for 24/7 repair here in the Meridian area. We’ll send out one of our experienced, friendly technicians to inspect your system and determine what the issue is. Here are some factors that may lead us to recommend repairing the older system:
- The repair is relatively minor or inexpensive: If our technician determines that the repair does not involve replacing a major component and can be completed without a major investment in the older system, it may make sense to move forward with the repair.
- The system potentially has years of life left: Our technician will also evaluate the overall state of the system. If the air conditioner has received regular maintenance and is in relatively good condition for its age, repairing it and keeping it running as long as possible makes sense.
- The air conditioner is relatively efficient: In the same vein, if the air conditioner is continuing to bring your home effective, efficient cooling and comfort, there is less reason to immediately replace it.
The case for replacing your older air conditioner
Similarly, here are some of the factors that may lead our technician to recommend replacing your older cooling system:
- A substantial repair is needed: If a major component or part needs to be replaced, it may make more sense to invest in a new system what you would have otherwise spent on the repair—even if the cost of the new system is more than the cost of the repair.
- The system is otherwise in poor shape: When our technician takes a look at your system, they may also be able to give you a heads-up about how the rest of the air conditioner is looking. If there is substantial wear-and-tear elsewhere, putting more money into the system probably doesn’t make much sense.
- The AC unit is no longer efficient or effective: Of course, if the cooling system is no longer able to bring your home effective or efficient cooling, that’s a reason to move on and have a new system installed.
A new air conditioner has other benefits, too
Obviously, cost is the number one driving factor for most homeowners when deciding whether they want to repair or replace their air conditioner. However, some of the other reasons to switch to a newer model include:
- Indoor comfort: If your older AC unit is failing to bring you a home free of heat and humidity, you’ll be able to feel the difference when you upgrade to a new model.
- Convenience: Today’s air conditioners are compatible with smart thermostats and smart home controls, allowing you to control your home’s comfort from anywhere.
- Peace of mind: A new air conditioner comes backed with a manufacturer’s warranty and is far less likely to break down.
Heblon Heating & Air Conditioning is here to help!
For more guidance on whether you should repair or replace your air conditioner, check out our new infographic:
Created by Heblon Heating & Air Conditioning